How to remove skin tags? Hopefully, our compilation of different methods will help you to get rid of them once and for all. Acrochordon, Fibroepithelial Polyp, Cutaneous papilloma, and soft fibroma, each of these is a name for skin tags generally used by dermatologists, they also are applied for skin tags or warts. Skin tags are painless, harmless, and benign skin (cannot cause skin cancer).
What Actually Is A Skin Tag? Can You Prevent Skin Tags?
Skin tags are a soft balloon-like structure that grows on the skin. A skin tag is a small, painless skin growth. Whether you are a male or a female, chances of developing skin tags are equal. Most of the skin tags fall off naturally in earlier stages but some of them continue to develop and are attached to your skin throughout life. Fatness or obesity is often related to skin tags.
There probably is not one guide on how to prevent skin tags and actually, it would be pretty hard, the only thing you can do is to have a healthy lifestyle and that would help to decrease the chance that you would have more skin tags because of the overweight.
The Size And The Number Of Skin Tags
The numbers may vary depending on each individual. Most of the tags look like small-sized bumps on the skin with size ranging from 2mm to 5mm in diameter. While some are larger in size from 1cm to 5cm in diameter.
Where Skin Tags Occur (Skin Tags Most Common Areas)?
Skin tags can occur almost in every part of the body. The most common sites to find these tags are neck region and armpits. Some other places include fold of buttocks, folds of the groin, eyelids, the upper region of the chest, and under the breast in some women. They are thought to be created in the areas where the skin is rubbed with skin. On eyelids when eyes are rubbed with fingers in younger people and in armpits.
Unfortunately, they tend to appear also on parts of our body that are not seen for others, for example, a vaginal skin tag can cause unpleasant feelings like any genital skin tag.
Who Can Get Skin Tags (Skin Tag Cause)?
- More than half the population of the world has been reported to have skin tags at some stage of their lives. Tags do not occur at childbirth but they occur most of the time at the age of maturity. Skin tags arise during middle age and increase frequently until old age. Kids may also develop tags on armpits and neck regions. If you are overweight, then the chances of getting skin tags are much higher.
- When a woman is pregnant, there is a great chance of getting these tags because during pregnancy the levels of hormones are increased. These hormonal changes increase the metabolism resulting in skin tags. When the pregnancy period is over tags fall off naturally.
- Because skin tags are harmless you need not worry, until or unless there is some serious problem. Obese people tend to have more skin tags because they have a high level of blood fats and sugar.
- When some unknown structure appears on your body do not count it as a skin tag until you are sure with its symptoms. You can go for a biopsy. A biopsy is a pathological examination used to check what that structure is.
- It is not confirmed that removing your tags can reduce their growth, you may or may not get these tags afterward. Skin tags are not infectious, they cannot spread to anyone.
How To Remove Skin Tags Naturally At Home
Method #1 – Coconut Oil
Coconut is not only anti-bacterial but also helps to fight against many viruses and fungi. That is why it is one of the best plants found in tropical areas. Coconut contains lauric acid. Extract oil from the coconut and rub on the affected areas before going to bed. All your tags will vanish within weeks.
Method #2 – Duct Tape
Duct tape is generally used for the removal of moles. You can also use it for the treatment of skin tags. Apply duct tape on the affected areas. Remove it after 1 week and your skin tags will also drop off.
Method #3 – Garlic Paste
Crush the garlic and make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area. Tie it with the help of a band. Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a day.
Method #4 – Ginger
You can find ginger easily at your home kitchen. Take raw ginger and rub on the affected areas for 2 weeks. You will get rid of these tags eventually.
Method #5 – Vitamin E And Garlic
This is the best method to get the best results. Rub vitamin E on the affected area two times a day. You will get rid of these tags within 2 weeks. you can get the results overnight when garlic and vitamin E are used as a combination.
Method #6- Onion Extract
You can use onion juice for the treatment of skin tags. To perform this activity, take a piece of onion and chop it into small pieces. Add one teaspoon of salt in it and soak it in a jar. Leave this mixture for one night. Now extract the juice from this mixture. Apply this onion juice on the affected area and cover it. Do this in the evening. Leave it for one night. In the morning rinse off your face with lukewarm water. You can continue this procedure for 1 week to treat the skin tags.
Method #7 – Fenugreek Water
Fenugreek seeds are very useful. They have a strong antioxidant effect. You can use it for the successful removal of skin tags. To make fenugreek water, soak the fenugreek seeds in normal water at night. Drink this water in the morning before having breakfast. You can also chew its seeds. But do not chew more than 2 tablespoons each day.
Method #8 – Lemon Juice
You can also use lemon juice for the treatment of skin tags. Lemon is highly enriched with vitamin C and citric acid. Citric acid helps to destroy the cells in skin tags. Take a cotton ball and drop some lemon juice on it. Dab on the affected areas. Leave, until it gets dry. Repeat this procedure for several days. All the skin tags will vanish.
Method #9 – Tie The Tag With String Or Dental Floss
You can tie the tag with the help of a string or floss or a piece of thread. To perform this activity, take a piece of string and tie the base of the skin tag. Due to cut off in blood supply at the affected place, the tag will be removed within 2-3 weeks.
Method #10 – Banana Peel
Banana peel is also very useful for the treatment of skin tags. Take a banana peel and cut it into small slices. Apply this peel on the affected area and hold it tightly using a tape or bandage. Make sure that the inner surface of the banana peel remains intact with the affected area. Leave it overnight. You should repeat this procedure every day until the tags fall off.
Method #11 – Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is used as a basic ingredient in all skincare products. For the treatment of many of your skin problems, Aloe Vera gel can also be used. To get rid of skin tags, apply Aloe Vera gel on your face twice a day for one week.
Method #12 – Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice is a very good home remedy for skin tags treatment. Apply pineapple juice directly on the tags. Do not rinse off your face. Repeat this activity 2 to 3 times a day for 10 days. Your skin tags will fade away.
Method #13 – Pure Honey
You can also use pure honey. You can easily find it in a raw form. Rub this honey on the skin tags at night. Wrap a bandage around it. Honey will slowly remove these tags. It has been observed that skin tags do not come again where honey is used as a treatment before.
Method #14 – Removing Skin Tags With Nail Polish
Nail polish not only beautifies your nails but also helps in removing the skin tags. Apply nail polish on the affected area. Leave it until the polish gets dry and then wash it out. Repeating this procedure can 2 to 3 times will be helpful to eradicate these tags.
Method #15 – Oregano
Oregano is best known for its anti-fungal property. It helps in fighting with many skin diseases. Extract oil from oregano and mix it with olive oil. Apply this extract and let it dry naturally. Use it for several days for the complete treatment of skin tags.
Method #16 – Castor Oil
You can use castor oil, internally or externally. To make an ointment for external use, mix the castor oil with baking soda. To reduce the stinky effect of this paste, add some drops of citrus oil. Apply this paste on the skin tags. Repeat this procedure daily for 3-4 weeks. Your tags will disappear.
Method #17 – Aspirin
Take one aspirin tablet. Crush it to make a fine powder. Apply this powder on the skin and place tape over it. Aspirin shrinks the tags and they fall off in the end.
Method #18 – Dandelion Juice
Dandelion is a famous garden weed with so many health benefits. As it is highly enriched with minerals and vitamins it helps in breaking down and removing the excess skin cells.
Take a fresh dandelion plant along with its root. Extract the milk from the root. Apply just 3 drops on the skin tags three times a day. With a continuous application of this milky sap for four weeks, you will get a tag-free skin.
Method #19 – Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil helps in the treatment of various skin disorders. It is also used as an ailment in different medicine. Apply this oil on the skin tags and get the best results within 4 weeks. Tea tree oil can cause irritation to people with oily skin. You can use coconut oil along with it as a soothing agent. You will not have any reaction.
How To Remove Skin Tags Yourself (Removal Creams)
There are lots of different skincare products developed that claim effectively to remove skin tags and moles. It is hard to advise only one particular product as none product will work equally for everyone.
Always remember to remove skin tags according to instructions as all these skincare products are pretty harsh and should be used only as directed.
Few Things You Should Not Do With Skin Tags
- Avoid pick and pop – Always avoid picking up the tags as in some cases it can leave permanent marks on the affected areas.
- Do not cut them – Do not cut these tags yourself because doing it by yourself can do more harm. It can lead to severe bleeding and pain if the cutting goes wrong. You may be prone to infection afterward. Always be very careful, especially if you are trying to cut the tags near the eyelids or other sensitive areas.
- Be careful with sensitive skin – If you have sensitive skin, then these home remedies may cause skin redness and irritation. If any of the above-mentioned methods are not suitable for you. Do not adopt that. Only try soothing agents like coconut oil or oregano oil.
- Do not use unapproved products – There is not a single cream available on the market approved by dermatologists made especially for the treatment of skin tags. So, you are advised not to use any of these creams or products. Because using unapproved products can react to you badly and may lead to skin infections and other complications of secondary level.
- Important note: If you know that your skin tags are not harmful don’t bother about them. But if you find anything abnormal in their appearance and color always consult a good doctor to gain the best treatment results.
How To Remove Skin Tags At Specialists (Medical Treatment)
Skin tags are usually harmless and painless. If the growth of your skin tag is not worrisome do not go for any surgical treatment because it is the best option. Try some of these home remedies and treatments.
Method #1 – Surgical Treatment
If your tags are causing serious trouble you can go for surgical treatment. Small tags are removed easily with little surgery. No anesthesia is used. However, in the case of larger skin tags, you will require local anesthesia. Lidocaine is injected before the surgery. When there are a huge number of tags at a specific area Betacaine cream is used. Normally the surgery is performed by a dermatologist or a general physician but when the problem lies near the eyelids, an eye specialist is also required.
Method #2 – Skin Tag Removal Freezing
If you do not like the burning method freezing is another option for the treatment of skin tags. You can use liquid nitrogen to freeze the skin tag and stop its unwanted growth. Freezing can also result in impermanent skin discoloration.
Hopefully, at least one of the mentioned methods answered your concern on how to remove skin tags, and soon you will be able to enjoy a completely new confidence level.