Face acne is greatly talked about by many people and they neglect back acne and therefore, this post is going to treat back acne otherwise known as BACNE which was gotten from the combination of the letter B in “back” and “acne”. As with face acne, back acne can affect guys, girls, teenagers and grown-ups alike.
Being an inflammation, it causes irritation and discomfort as the face type and is caused by the clogging of the skin pores by dead bacteria or excessive secretion of sebum by the sebaceous gland of the skin. This type of acne is slightly different from the ones that occur on the face and is made up of different types as can be seen below.
The Main Types Of Back Acne (Bacne)
These types of acne can occur on the back:
- Blackheads: this is a type of acne or comedo that is caused by the blocking of the sweat or sebaceous gland when skin debris combines with oil created by the sebaceous gland. Its black color is as a result of the oxidation of the pores when exposed to air.
- Cysts: a cyst is a sac-like pocket of tissue that contains fluid, air and or other substance. It can grow in all parts of the body and has so many types which include; benign and non-cancerous cysts.
- Nodules: nodules are solid, elevated areas of the tissue or fluid inside or outside of the skin and are formed on tendons and muscles some of which are painful.
- Pustules: is a white or yellow discharge filled with papule with a blushed base.
- Papules: are red, tender and inflamed bumps that appear on the skin and when squeezed can cause pains and scars on any part of the body it appears on.
- Whiteheads: whiteheads occur when the mixture of dead skin cells and oil are trapped by a film of skin and is otherwise known as closed comedo.
- Blisters: these are small bubbles on the skin filled with serum and caused by many factors like friction, burning, other damages, etc.
Having talked about types of back acne, we will go ahead and discuss what causes back acne at the end of our article.
Effective Methods To Get Rid Of Back Acne (Bacne)
Method #1 – Use Of Head And Shoulder Or Selsun Blue Medicated Shampoo
This shampoo although not known for this, contains pyrithione zinc which is known to cure acne because it promotes dead skin cells to sloth off. Washing your back gently with any of them daily normally will have a great effect on curing bacne permanently. It could be itchy and so, be ready for it in case it comes.
Methods #2 – Change Your Lifestyle
Change of lifestyle as we all know involves a whole lot of things. It involves minding the type of clothes we wear- in this case, one that will not put pressure on our body, loose bras, and loose undies. Minding the type of diet we eat and avoiding junk foods and other foods that contain oil so as to limit the amount of oil produced by the sebum which causes acne.
Method #3 – Exfoliation
Exfoliation is the removal of the oldest dead skin cells on the outermost part of the skin. There are different types of exfoliation which could be mechanical (the use of abrasives to manually scrub the skin, in this case, the back. Abrasives like brushes, sponges, loofahs, almond shells, sugar or salt crystals, fingernails, crepe papers, etc.), chemical (this involves the use of chemicals containing salicylic acid, malic acid, fruit enzymes citric acids, etc.
These acids can be found in a wide variety of products like beta hydroxyl acid, oranges, alpha hydroxyl acid, etc.) it is ideal for people with oily skin. Exfoliation has its disadvantages which include initial redness of the parts of the skin, the frosting of the skin, etc. and so it is advised that a dermatologist is consulted before resorting to this method of removing back acne.
Method #4 – Go For A Medicated Backed Body Wash
The body wash is the general term used to describe the use of any liquid product for cleaning the body. There are several products used for body wash depending on the aim of the body wash. Some are done to cure acne, some for ringworm, for staph, psoriasis, jock itch, folliculitis, boils, tinea versicolor, etc. But for this article, we are focusing on that for acne cure.
Anybody wash aimed at curing back acne, should contain an active acne-fighting ingredient, should be able to dry-oily skin, etc. But it is advisable to know your skin type before choosing any medicated back body was a product. Some of the products include; Murad acne complex body wash, panoxyl 10% acne foaming wash, Neutrogena body clear body wash, Alba Botanica Acne dote face and body scrub, and a host of other products. They can be gotten from any pharmaceutical shop near you.
Method #5 – Choose Your Beauty Products Cautiously
From the causes mentioned above, it can be seen that beauty products containing certain ingredients are known to cause acne (especially when your skin is allergic to acne) and so, avoiding such beauty products and choosing best alternatives could be the best way to cure acne if you already have it as it won’t increase. Also, oily products should be avoided as much as possible.
Method #6 – Use The Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant that has been used from time immemorial to treat certain health conditions like ringworm, eczema, minor wounds, sunburns, and dandruff. But it can also be used as a very effective tool to treat back acne because of its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics. It also has natural astringent which helps to remove excess oil from any part of the body that it is applied on and so can help free acne radicals and repair damaged skin. Daily application of aloe Vera gel on acne scars has been observed to gradually remove the scars. It is advisable to apply at night before going to bed in other to get effective results.
Method #7 – Try Some Of The Over The Counter Acne Treatments
Bacne scars can be treated by applying some cosmetic medications containing any of the following ingredients; like benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, salicylic acid, and sulfur, etc. As always, it is advised that you enquire about any product you want to use before usage to avoid adverse effects on your skin.
Method #8 – Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
This powerful household product has been discussed extensively on one of our posts here, but to throw more light on it, apple cider vinegar also known as ACV can be used by either applying it directly on the back using sprayers/cotton towels or by drinking it daily at night. An equal amount of the ACV and water should be mixed to avoid its adverse effects.
Method #9 – Apply Zinc
Any solution that contains 1.2% zinc acetate when applied on your back morning and night daily can help cure back acne and give your back a nice look. Also, if you find it difficult to apply zinc on your back due to its inaccessibility especially if you live alone, you can ingest or take in zinc picolinate daily as prescribed by a dermatologist.
Method #10 – Drink A Lot Of Water
Drinking adequate amount of water will prevent dehydration which causes our body to release excess oil and helping bacteria to form when it clogs the skin follicles. It is advised that any human being under normal circumstances should take about eight 8-ounces of glasses, which is about two liters of water daily. This is known as the 8by8 rule which means 8 rounds of a glass measuring 8-ounce.
Method # 11 – Avoid Eating Junk Food
Method #12 – Use Lemons
Method #13 – UseTomatoes
Method #14 – Try Silver Powders
Method #15 – Try Drying Lotion
Method #16 – Use Sea Salt
Method #17 – TryHoney
Method #18 – Try Cinnamon
Main Causes And Preventive Measures That You Can Take Against Back Acne (Bacne)
There are different causes of back acne, and a handful of them will be discussed in this post so as to make you aware of them and then prepare you on how to prevent them.
- Medications: some medicines are known to cause acne in any part of the body due to their side effects on the body. Their simulation of the production of insulin and other hormones cause this and examples of medications that could cause acne outburst to include those containing halogens, ciclosporin, antidepressants, excess vitamin B, corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, disulfuram, immuran, isoniazid, quinine etc.
- Pressure on the back: sweat is well known to cause acne. Wearing tight handbag straps, knapsacks, shoulder pads, athletic cushions or rigging and other things worn on the back can cause acne. Also, tight clothes can cause acne and prevent this even if you’re already affected by acne can help reduce the increase.
- Skin care products: some skin care products like cosmetics, sunscreens, and any other product that contains excess oil can cause acne if used on any part of the body. Oil, as we all know, causes the clogging of the pores and help bacteria growth under the skin. Some ingredients that are known to cause acne include Algin, butyl stearate, carrageenan, cocoa butter, coconut oil and butter, cotton awws oil,Crisco, dioctyl succinate, isodecyl oleate, etc. These skin care products can cause acne because of so many factors which could be that they were poorly produced, your skin may be allergic to the ingredients used in their production, reactions between your skin and the product, using too many skin care products at the same time, very reactive ingredients used in the product, etc.
- Dandruff: you might be asking “how on earth can dandruff cause acne?” It is rational to ask such a question. Dandruff causes flaky skin which can clog the pores on the back if you have long hairs that touch your back. Dandruff, as we all know, is caused when the hair or scalp is oily and therefore, preventing certain hair creams will go a long way to help prevent bacne caused by dandruff.
- Polycystic ovarian diseases: this is seen in women and is caused when a female’s sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) are in excess. This causes an imbalance that leads to different effects on the body which include; excess hair on the face, stomach, decrease in breast size, deeper voice, thin hair, acne, etc.
- Shaving and waxing: shaving of hair is ideal for a normal human being as some don’t like having lots of hairs on their back. As a result of waxing, hair follicles can get damaged and this causes follicles to clog and infected by bacteria which is the main cause of acne.
- Tight clothes and brassies: In one of the posts on this site, this point has been discussed but to bring it alive here, stress on the body can cause acne to develop on any part of the body. Wearing tight clothes and undies cause heat and pressure.
- Type of food taken: it is observed that several foods taken can trigger or worsen acne. These foods include cow’s milk, sugar, and all sugar-containing foods, high-glycemic foods, junk foods (known for causing hormonal fluctuation and an increase in blood sugar level), fast foods, etc.
- Dirty bedsheets, clothes, underwear, and towels: dirty clothing, etc. are known to cause acne because they serve as breeding places for bacteria which cause acne and so, it is advised to wear clean clothes, wash your towel, bed, and pillow covers regularly.
- Heredity: it is often believed that if someone’s parents or relations have acne on their body, it is most likely that other relations or children will also have acne.
- Stages of development: this is peculiar with teenagers during puberty when their body experiences so many hormonal changes which include estrogens and testosterone which could lead to the formation of acne on any part of the body including the back. Although this does not occur in all, it occurs in an appreciable percentage of teenagers.