No matter that at the first glance any kind of vinegar seems too harsh to use it on your face in any kind there are plenty of methods of how you actually can benefit from one particular type of vinegar and we are talking about apple cider vinegar.
There are so many natural and homemade ways of treating acne and some of them have been mentioned and written about on this blog. But, in this post, a new and effective way of removing acne naturally will be discussed. The post came about as a result of some trial and error experiment conducted on an acne patient and the results were interesting. The most interesting part of it is that it was with a well-known household utility.
Knowing some of the properties of apple cider vinegar, some group of people decided to give it a try. They then researched about it and found out that it can actually be used to cure acne, and without wasting any time, this post will be sharing their research findings with you. This newly found way (the use of apple cider vinegar) is done using what we all know and is rampant in our grocery shops and can also be prepared at home.
In this post, you will be learning all you need to know about apple cider vinegar, why it is ideal for curing acne, how to apply it on the acne spots and some tips to ensure that it works perfectly for you.
What Actually is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (otherwise known as ACV) is a type of vinegar made from cider and apple and has a pale amber color. As we all know, vinegar is a product of fermentation that is, is formed in a process in which sugars in a food are broken down by bacteria or allowed to ferment naturally. The process involves include the conversion of the sugars to alcohol, and then on further fermentation, the alcohol turns to vinegar.
It has to be in use since 400BC especially by the father of medicine Hippocrates. It was first discovered and used by the Greeks as natural antibiotics and general antiseptic. Generally, most people like it unfiltered and unpasteurized. It is used for many purposes which include; food preservatives, marinades, salad, and as juice, for baking, sauces, soups, etc.
Some Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Throughout history, people have known that apple cider vinegar has so many health benefits as can be seen when Hippocrates used it to cure a certain ailment but certainly don’t know that it could help clear acne spots. Before going ahead to explain how apple cider vinegar can be used to clear acne spots, let us first list and explain some of its health benefits. Below are some health benefits of apple cider vinegar;
- Diabetes prevention and control: vinegar is known to be effective in the cure of type 2 diabetes as it helps stabilize blood sugar levels in the body through its anti-glycemic effects. It is identified that type 2 diabetes is caused mainly by high blood sugar.
- Treatment of a sore throat: because ACV contains anti-bacterial properties, it fights the bacteria causing the sore throat, its inulin increases the production of white blood and T cells which help strengthen the immune system. Also, its acidic properties help reduce the PH of the tissues along the throat thereby inhibiting the growth of bacteria
- Helps in weight loss: a study shows that apple cider vinegar helps slow down fat build-up. Taking diluted AVC daily is a sure way to aid weight loss, especially when accompanied by exercises, medications, liposuction or Coolsculpting. It also helps in moderate one’s appetite thereby decreasing the amount of food you consume and the frequency of consumption.
- Lowers cholesterol levels: apple cider vinegar has been identified to help lower artificial and natural cholesterol levels thereby prevent heart and other cardiovascular diseases. This was identified by a research carried out by rats showed that it helps do this because it contains chlorogenic acid which protects low-density lipoprotein cholesterol particle from being oxidized.
- Protects against cancer: it cannot cure cancer actually but has been observed to help destroy free radicals that are known to cause cancer. Its pectin which is rich in fiber can help destroy colon cancer risks.
- For detoxification: AVC helps detoxify or purify our body system through the breakdown of fatty and other unwanted deposits in our body system.
- Digestive aid: its antibiotic characteristics help to increase digestion by encouraging the growth of healthy bacteria; acetobacta along the gut. Its antibacterial properties help improve bowel irregularities and remove toxins from our body.
- Energy boost: Apple cider vinegar contains potassium which is known to supply energy to the body. To enjoy this, all you need to do is just add a teaspoon of AVC to a glass of distilled water and feel the instant boost in your energy level.
- Haircare: the use of apple cider vinegar on your hair can help prevent dandruff and itchy scalp, act as a remedy for hair lice, treat natural hair loss, etc. It also treats warts, otherwise known as ringworm, when applied to the infected part of the body. It is better to mix with water because it stings if applied undiluted.
- Helps to cleanse bacteria that cause bad breath (Halitosis): bad breath has been a major concern to so many people as it leads to discomfort for both the person who has it and everybody around him or her. ACV’s properties are known to be effective for this. Its acidic properties help to clear bacteria in the mouth and breakdown the plaque. Its digestive aid also helps because bad breaths are sometimes associated with indigestion. It is better to consume apple cider vinegar diluted in water or in other fruit juice after meals as it can help prevent bad breath.
- It can soothe bug and mosquito bites: Being acidic but not as acidic as other vinegar, applying diluted ACV on the parts of the body bitten by bugs or mosquitos can help normalize the PH values of these areas.
- A remedy for insomnia: Apple cider vinegar has been seen to help maintain sleep. It That is, it cannot actually help you to sleep but can help you remain asleep once you are asleep. It does so by triggering the release of tryptophan which causes drowsiness and therefore, aids sleep. Taking an appreciable quantity of diluted ACV at night can be of help.
- For whitening of the teeth: it has been observed that using apple cider vinegar mixed with baking soda helps whiten the teeth. If you cannot rinse your mouth or rub your teeth with the mixture, there is an alternative which is to use ACV diluted with an equal amount of water. Although the effects are not seen immediately, it will take continuous application to yield the desired effect.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Remove Acne
Acne, as can be seen from one of the posts on this site, is a skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil from the skin. When clogged, bacteria come and breed on the clogged areas, forming spots and swellings on the affected parts of the body. From the post, it was also established that it affects human beings of all ages, races, and sexes.
Apple cider vinegar has antibiotic or antibacterial properties due to powerful alpha hydroxyl acids, fight those bacteria where they breed thereby kill them and ensure that they do not regrow if continually applied on the parts of the body affected.
Also, because oil causes the formation of acne if sebaceous glands of the skin produce excess oil or you apply too many oily creams on the body, AVC can help prevent it by making sure that our body system is fairly stable and this will make the sebaceous glands produce oil normally as needed by our body (when drank).
NOTE: remember to dilute the apple cider vinegar before drinking or rubbing it because it is spongy and can cause discomfort if not diluted.
Ways Of Treating Acne Affected Areas Using Apple Cider Vinegar
There are fundamentally two ways of treating acne using ACV namely:
- The internal method of application: this method involves the intake of apple cider vinegar. As listed above, it helps our body in so many ways and if our body works fine, it gets shown on our skin and we look fresh and free from any acne spots. Some people will be thinking, how do I take this in? If you cannot drink AVC mixed with any other healthy liquid, it is advised that you incorporate it while cooking, baking, and other food preparations.
- The external method of application: this is the opposite of the former in that the apple cider vinegar is applied to the skin and allowed for some time before rinsing so as to allow it perform its function. Owing to its sponginess, acidic and stingy nature, it is advised for it to be diluted. What is used for its diluting depends on determines whether or not it should be applied to the skin? For safety, it is advised that you dilute it with distilled water as other things used in diluting could contain other components.
STEPS INVOLVED IN PREPARATION OF DILUTED APPLE CIDER VINEGAR FOR EXTERNAL ACNE TREATMENT
- Go to any nearest grocery shop around and buy unpasteurized organic apple cider vinegar or prepare some by yourself at home (by collecting organic apples from your far and putting them in a jar of water. After that, cover them with cotton or paper towel for about two to three weeks and then sieve out the remaining apple particles and cover the mixture again for about a month, stirring the mixture daily. After that, your apple cider vinegar is ready for use. Transfer to a new container that has lid and then stores for use)
- In preparing the mixture, it is advised to use either tap or distilled water. Mix equal proportions of the ACV and water and pour it into a clean and sterilized container from where you will scoop and apply on your skin. (You can add a little honey, aloe Vera or green tea if you wish to the mixture).
NOTE: It can also be diluted with baking soda, onion juice, garlic, etc. although many prefer diluting with water if it is to be used for curing acne
SAFETY TIPS AND WHAT TO EXPECT
- Shake the mixture vigorously before applying on the skin. The application could be done with cotton balls, hand towel or with a sprayer (for areas that cannot be reached by the former)
- It is advised to wash your face properly and allow it to dry before application.
- Store the mixture in a cool, dry place.
- It is advised that you apply the mixture at night (if you have a tolerant skin or wash it off after about 10 minutes) because you’ll leave it for long and also, feel more comfortable. It is also advised to apply it at night to avoid inconveniencing other people around because all kinds of vinegar have offensive odors. But in this case, the odor fades away after some time.
- You might experience some skin irritation on the application. But such irritation goes away after a while.
- If you prefer the internal method, you should experience some purge. This doesn’t happen to everybody but might occur.
- Remember to apply skin moisturizers in the morning to avoid inflammation of your skin by the sun.
- Avoid the mixture from touching your eye as it could cause damages to the eye. Wash off immediately if it comes in contact with the eye.
- If you are to drink it, it is advised to take one or two teaspoons of the mixture daily to avoid adverse effects.
- It is important to restate that you should dilute ACV with an equal amount of water to avoid its harmful effects on you.
This method of acne treatment is effective like the others but the effects are seen just 4 or 5 days after application. Remember also, that some skin types might be resistant to this and so, you might try the other methods if this one doesn’t work for you.