Age spots, the name itself is so horrifying. Any kind of age spot, irrespective of its color, on hard earned and well-managed beautiful skin, face and palms is a synonym to a nightmare. People world over have been trying numerous tips and tricks to get rid of it. Well, no need to worry further. You are at the right page to find best home remedies for age spots. You do not need to panic and make visits to the expensive dermatologist. There are numerous easy to use and economical home based remedies available in your kitchen for the treatment of age spots. Before you jump over to remedies, one shall also have an idea what exactly are age spots and what causes them.
What Actually Are Age Spots
Age spots are known by various other names including lentigines, brown spots, sun spots and liver spots. They are generally brown or yellowish spots due to skin discolouration occurring at either face, hands, back, chest and necks. Even though they are harmless and occur with age and exposure to extreme sun, enlargement of its size shall be immediately checked by a doctor to avoid any chance of skin disease.
What Cause Age Spots
As the name suggests, they develop with for multiple reasons. With passing age, when skin is overexposed to harmful ultraviolet rays of Sun, melanocytes cells are produced resulting in the dark skin or dark spots. Usage of tanning lamps and beds too can be one of the reasons for development o age spots. Not only external factors, many patients have been reported of brown spots due to genetic reasons. However, in certain cases, pregnancy, stress, deficiency of vitamins in diet can lead to the problem.
The Treatment Of Age Spots
The most important thing to remember is that age spots are not permanent. With proper treatment, care and following few guidelines, one can experience the same old charismatic look. One must not give up. As these age spots are the result of prolonged exposure to the sun or other varied factors, its removal too takes some time. Patience and proper care will surely get you the desired result.
Though there are various means like Cryotherapy, Laser Therapy, Dermabrasion and usage of chemical peels, the best one to opt for is home based remedies. Not only those are easy to use and economical, it also does not have any other major side effects. Following are few of the best tried and tested remedies for safe removal of age spots. Try few remedies for one or two months before coming to a conclusion that it works for you or not as it varies for individuals and sensitivity of skin type.
Effective Home Based Remedies For Removing Age Spots
Remedy #1 – Lemon Juice
The citric acid present in lemon juice helps to bleach the skin and the brown spots are removed. The following methods help to maintain clear, beautiful and soft skin.
- Make a fresh juice of a lemon in a small bowl and with a cotton pad, apply it directly on the spots. Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse it with cold water. This can be repeated twice daily for two months for awesome results.
- Make a paste of lemon juice with enough sugar. Scrub this on the skin, especially on affected areas. After 10 minutes, wash it with cold water. This can be applied 2-3 times a week. For dry skin, add olive oil in the paste.
Caution! For sensitive skin, the direct application may be not suitable. It may cause irritation. Therefore, it is preferred to dilute it with rose water, honey or may be plain water before application. As lemon juice reacts with sunlight and makes the skin more sensitive and age spots even worse, hence after applying one must not go out in the sun.
Remedy #2 – Buttermilk- Exfoliates and Fades the Age Spots and the Blemishes
The lactic acid present in buttermilk helps to bleach skin just like citric acid of lemon juice. The difference between the two is that the buttermilk does not make the skin dry after its application and can even be used on sensitive skin. Here are some tips to use buttermilk and keep the skin soft and beautiful.
- Directly apply buttermilk with a cotton pad on the age spots and leave for 15-30 minutes. Then wash it with cold water. For oily skin, few drops of lemon juice can be mixed with buttermilk. This is to be applied twice daily for best results.
- This home remedy can be more effective if four teaspoons of the buttermilk are mixed with two teaspoons of the tomato juice and applied on age spots. As tomato juice possesses bleaching properties, this mix also works as the remover of age spots.
Remedy #3 – Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV or Apple cider vinegar is among the valuable elements used in various homemade remedies for skin problems including the removal of age spots. The following steps will help.
- Add ACV to an equal quantity of water. A few drops of honey can also be added for effective benefits. Apply the mixture on age spots and leave for 30 minutes. Then wash it with cold water. The ACV can also be directly applied on the spots but, be careful, it may cause some itching. This remedy is to be applied once daily, regularly for five-six weeks for positive results.
- Another mixture of ½ tablespoon ACV and 2 tablespoons orange juice can be made and applied on age spots. Wash with cold water after it completely dries out. This process is to be repeated twice daily for 5-6 weeks for best results.
Remedy #4 – Castor Oil
There are strong skin curing properties present in a castor oil. So, is used for treating the age spots or brown spots. Castor oil used in the following ways can be very helpful.
- Apply castor oil with a cotton pad directly on affected areas. Massage gently for few minutes until the oil is absorbed through the skin. Leave it as it is for few hours so that it sits properly on the skin and then wash with cold water.
- The castor oil can be applied twice daily, in the morning and at night. Within 6 weeks, the age spots will start to fade away and the skin tone shall become even as never before.
Remedy #5 – Aloe Vera
The aloe vera is well known to heal skin and possesses properties of skin regeneration. It is usually used for treating many types of skin problems like brown spots or age spots, mainly the spots formed due to sun exposure. These spots can be cured by using the following methods.
- The fresh gel of aloe vera is to be gently rubbed on the spots. Leave it until it gets soaked up into the skin for nearly 30 minutes. For best results, aloe vera gel must be taken directly from aloe vera plant.
- Since the aloe vera is very gentle, it is not required to be washed off with water. But if felt sticky, it can be cleaned.
- The remedy can be used twice daily for a month with the result that the spots start fading away.
- If the gel is not available from the aloe vera plant, the aloe vera juice can also be used which is easily available on the market in the health stores.
Remedy #6 – Sandalwood
The sandalwood is not only an anti-aging agent but also an antiseptic as well. It reduces hyperpigmentation resulting in the disappearance of the age spots. The homemade remedies with sandalwood are as follows:
- Mix one tablespoon each of sandalwood powder, rose water, lemon juice, and glycerine. Apply the paste on the spots and leave it to dry. Then wash with cold water. This can be followed 2-3 times every week to fade the spots away.
- Another mixture of I teaspoon orange juice, the content of one capsule of vitamin E, 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder, and ½ teaspoon lemon juice can also be made. After mixing it properly, apply to the face. Leave for nearly 30 minutes and then wash with cold water. This process is to be repeated 2-3 times every week for positive results.
- Some drops of the sandalwood oil along with 1 teaspoon almond oil or olive oil are to be mixed and massaged on the areas affected before sleeping. Leave this on overnight and wash with cold water in the morning, you will find soft glowing skin.
Remedy #7 – Onion Juice
The onion has sulfur compounds in it which act as antiseptic. It also has acids, which facilitate exfoliation. Though aroma of lemon is much better, some may find it irritating when applied on the skin. For those, fresh juice of onion is the alternative.
- Slice the onion and rub it on affected areas 2-3 times daily. Then wash with cold water.
- Also I tablespoon onion juice can be mixed with 2 tablespoons honey and the mixture can be applied on the spots. After 15 minutes, wash thoroughly with cold water. This will remove the stinging smell of onion and keep you fresh. This can be repeated 1-2 times daily.
Remedy #8 – Horseradish
The horseradish possesses vitamin C that slows the formation of melanin- a substance for pigmentation of the skin. The glucosinolate present in horseradish also helps to increase the blood circulation which works as an antioxidant and flushes out waste from the body.
- Make horseradish paste with water and apply it directly on affected areas. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash with cold water. Using it 2-3 times every week will fade away the spots.
- Grate a 4” piece of horseradish and mix in ¼ cup of the apple cider vinegar. Store the mixture in a glass container and keep for 2 weeks. In 14 days, the mixture will set itself. Then strain it and with cotton ball apply it all over the affected area. Leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash with cold water. This remedy can be followed 3 times daily for minimum 1 month for positive results. Keep the mixture in the fridge after use.
Remedy #9 – Papaya
The alpha hydroxyl acid and some kind of enzymes are present in papaya. This helps to exfoliate the skin and reduces age spots, acne, skin blemishes, and the other skin issues. The papaya cleans the skin and makes it look brighter:
- Take a papaya and slice a thin piece from the skin. Gently press the fleshy portion of the slice on the age spot for about 15-20 minutes. Then wash it.
- Take few small chunks of papaya and mash them with a potato masher or a fork. Apply the pulp on the age spots with fingers. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with cold water. Daily doing this actually reduces the spots and brightens the skin.
- For those allergic to papaya, it is advised to go through a 24-hour patch test before applying papaya.
Remedy #10 – Yoghurt
The lactic acid present in yogurt removes the dead skin cells and helps the fresh new healthy skin to grow.
- Apply directly the plain yogurt on spots. Leave it to dry. Then wash with cold water. To have quick results, smear the yogurt on the spots and leave it overnight.
- Make a pack of 1 tablespoon plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh and 2 tablespoons ground oatmeal. Apply it on brown spots and leave it to dry. Then wash with cold water and put some moisturizer. This can be repeated 2-3 times every week.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of plain yogurt and honey to make good homemade bleach. Apply on the age spots and let it dry. Then wash with cold water. IT effectively reduces the age spots. This can be followed twice daily.
Home remedies for age spots are the best solution one can select for the treatment of this problem. A little bit of patience associated with a proper following of the remedies will create wonders. Soon, you would be able to walk freely without any signs of neglect, hiding your real age and with confidence. One need not go running around doctors. Simply go to your kitchen and open the Pandora box of limitless remedies that will make you feel more confident bringing a smile on your face.